Victor Cullen Center
6000 Cullen Dr.
Sabillasville, MD 21780
Superintendent: James Washington
Asst. Supt.: Troy Stiffler
The Victor Cullen Center (VCC) traces its origins to 1907 when it was built and originally named Hilltop State Hospital. The facility was the first state-funded tuberculosis sanatorium in Maryland. In 1965, the facility became a reform school for boys.
In 2007, DJS re-opened VCC as a regional hardware secure treatment center for male youth. VCC serves up to 48 male youth who have been ordered by the courts to receive treatment services in a secure environment. The treatment program serves male youth between the ages of 14 and 18, and typically lasts six to nine months although the treatment may be extended, if necessary.
VCC provides dietary, medical, educational and counseling services as well as space for recreation. In addition to receiving services, youth residing at VCC attend school in the facility year round, five days a week for six hours a day.
Historical content courtesy of the Maryland State Archives.