The success of the first boys' forestry camp at Green Ridge prompted the General Assembly to appropriate funds for additional facilities in 1956. As a result, Lonaconing Forestry Camp for Boys opened in December 1957 and was renamed Savage Mountain Youth Center (SMYC) in 1977. After closing in 1999, SMYC reopened in 2001.
SMYC provides a six- to nine-month treatment program for male youth between the ages of 14 to 18 who have been ordered by a court to receive treatment services. SMYC provides dietary, medical, educational and counseling services as well as space for recreation. In addition to receiving services, youth residing at SMYC attend school in the facility year round, five days a week for six hours a day.
Superintendent: John Plummer
164 Freedom Lane
Lonaconing, MD 21539
120 West Fayette St. Baltimore, MD 21201