The Charles Hickey, Jr. School (CHS) traces its beginnings to the House of Refuge, which opened in 1850. Located on Frederick Avenue in Baltimore City, the House of Refuge was the first facility built in Maryland for the sole purpose of housing juvenile offenders in a separate facility from adult offenders. Later, the facility's name changed to Maryland School for Boys, and moved to its present location near Loch Raven in 1910.
In 1918, the facility changed its name again to the Maryland Training School for Boys. That name remained for 67 years until the facility adopted its current name in 1985. CHS is named after a former Baltimore County Sheriff who led a distinguished law enforcement career and died in 1984.
From September 1991 to April 2004, the Department of Juvenile Services (DJS) contracted with private companies to operate CHS. In April 2004, DJS resumed direct control of CHS, which was made up of two components: a secure juvenile detention center for youth awaiting court or placement and a secure treatment program for youth who had been found delinquent and in need of treatment services. In November 2005, the secure treatment program was closed. However, the secure detention component remained open and continues to operate today.
The secure detention center at CHS serves male youth who have access to dietary, medical, educational and counseling services as well as space for recreation. In addition to receiving services, youth residing in the detention center attend school within the facility year round, five days a week for six hours a day.
New Directions, a private vendor that operates a treatment program for low-level juvenile sex offenders, also operates on the grounds of CHS.
Historical content courtesy of the Maryland State Archives.
Superintendent: Danjuma Gaskins
Assistant Superintendent: Tonaza Burgess
Assistant Superintendent: Geisha Jones
9700 Old Harford Road
Parkville, MD 21234
120 West Fayette St. Baltimore, MD 21201